Frequently Asked Questions

What is ETA?

An Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) provides authorisation to travel to and enter Australia and is electronically linked to your passport. It is for short term stays for tourism or business visitor activities such as attending a conference, making business enquiries or for contractual negotiations. Business visitor activities do not include work. An ETA is not a work visa.

How long can I stay In Australia?

You can stay in Australia for a maximum of three months on each visit. After your ETA is granted, you are able to enter and leave Australia as many times as you need to during a 12 month period, from the date the ETA is granted or until the expiry date of your passport, whichever is earlier.

Can I apply for ETA online?

To apply for an ETA online through this website, you must hold a passport from one of the following countries or regions:

Brunei - Darussalam,   Canada,   Australia,   Japan,   Malaysia,   Singapore,    Korea, Rep of (South),   United States of America,  

What do I need to make an application?

To apply for an ETA online you must be outside Australia. An ETA is for short term stays for tourism or business visitor activities.You must have your passport, email address and a valid credit or debit card to complete the online application. The details you provide in your online ETA application need to be exactly the same as they appear in your passport. You must use the same passport that is linked to your online ETA application when you travel. Anyone who arrives in Australia without a valid travel document, visa or authority can be refused entry to or delayed until their identity and claims to enter Australia have been confirmed.

Are there any age restrictions?

No. Eligible passport holders of all ages can apply for an ETA.

Can I include my children in the same online ETA application?

No. All family members must make separate ETA applications. Even if your children travel on your passport, they will need an individual ETA application. The online ETA system can be used to apply for an ETA for members of your family travelling with you provided they also meet all the online ETA eligibility criteria.

How long will my ETA take to process?

While most ETAs will be issued in less than 24 hours, some may take longer to process. In a small number of cases, more information may be needed before the application is approved. We will contact you via email and advise you of the next steps.

What can I do if I make a mistake in my application?

It is important that you are very careful when you enter your personal details. You will have an opportunity to review all the details you have provided and can change the details at any time until you confirm all details are correct. If you have made an error, it is important that you correct it before proceeding. If you find out later that you have made a mistake, you will need to make a new application. We cannot change the details on an ETA once it has been issued. Note: If your ETA details do not match your passport details you might experience delays when boarding your aircraft or be refused entry into Australia. Please contact us at as soon as possible.

What happens when applications are not approved?

If your application is not approved you should finalise your application through the nearest Australian visa office.

Why do I need to indicate that I have an alias

When travelling to Australia we need to ensure that you have a valid visa. If you have used a slightly different name on your ETA application to that on your passport, knowing that you have an alias or another name or different spelling of your name will help us check that you do have a valid visa.

Why do I have to indicate that I have a criminal conviction?

If you have a criminal conviction and have been sentenced to a term of imprisonment of 12 months or more, you should not be applying for an ETA. You might be eligible to apply for other types of online visitor visas. If you are found to be in breach of any condition, your visa can be cancelled at the border and you will not be able to enter Australia.

I have not received any email confirmation

To ensure you receive emails from us:
*make sure that the email you use is still valid
*check your email storage capacity is not full
*check your email spam scanner
* check your email spam folder on a regular basis to ensure messages from us have not been incorrectly identified as spam
*change the email encoding if you received emails which are illegible.
*check your application to ensure the email address you entered was entered correctly.
*contact us by email

What conditions apply to my ETA?

Conditions of an ETA are:
It is your responsibility to know what your visa allows you to do while in Australia.
After your ETA is granted you are able to enter and leave Australia as many times as you need to during a 12 month period. From the date the ETA is granted or until the expiry date of your passport, whichever is earlier.
*You can stay in Australia for a maximum of three months on each visit.
*You must not study for more than three months.
*You must be free from tuberculosis.
*You must not have any criminal convictions for which you have been sentenced for a total combined period of 12 months or more, whether or not the sentence/s were served.
* It is illegal to work on an ETA. Whilst on an ETA you have no right to work in Australia. You may only undertake business visitor activities such as the undertaking of business enquiries and contractual negotiations or attending conferences.

Important: You might not be permitted to enter Australia unless you are in good health and have no significant criminal convictions. You should note that you must depart Australia before your authorised stay period expires. If you do not, you can be detained and/or removed from Australia. Overstaying might also affect your ability to be granted another Australian visa, including an ETA, in the future. If circumstances arise while you are in Australia that require you to stay longer than the three months permitted by your ETA, you must obtain another visa before the end of the three month stay period.